Whether I’m heading to a party, or just dinner and a movie, Friday is my night to glam it up! Sometimes I go for a sultry, smoky eye. Other times I paint on wing-tipped eyeliner for sexy kitten eyes. If I'm in the mood to flutter, I throw on fake lashes - but no matter what, my sights are set on having eyes that mesmerize.
Testing out products here at Team Blue Scandal, I fell in love with
Bewitching Eyes are Easier than you Think!
If you're a little worried that this kind of makeup is too complicated, think again! I am by no means a pro makeup artist. I’m just a writer who is obsessed with playing with makeup… so if I can do it, you can too!
1. Start with eyelidsthat are cleaned and primed to give these eyes real lasting power. I likeL.A. Girl Pro Primer Eyeshadow Stick, but one of the upsides of using J.Cat is that their eyeshadows last a long time even without using a primer.
*NOTE! I’ve already applied foundation, powder, cheek color, and brow shaping. Some people prefer to take care of face makeup after doing their eyes, but that’s a debate for another blog post! As long as your eyelids are clean, we are good to go!
2. Beauty tip!!Here’s a secret that makes this dazzling look so achievable (even if you’re not the greatest at applying makeup).Use tape!It seemed supremely weird to me at first, but I discovered it’s the easiest way to create a sharp, clean line. Just apply tape from the outer edge of your eye, all the way up to the brow bone. You can always touch up your foundation if needed after.
Fashion tape works best because it doesn’t pull out hairs when you peel it off,
but masking tape works too.
3. Using a black eyeliner pencilor crayon (no liquid liner for this look), draw a thick line across your lash line and up along the tape - then come back around the upper part of your eyelid to form an oval shape. No need to be careful or agonize over making any of these lines straight. We’ll be using a blending brush on this entire area soon enough anyway, so go crazy!
How high up should you go with the liner for your smoky look?That’s totally up to you!
I wanted high-drama eyes, so I went more than halfway up between my eye and brow.
4. Create your smoky lookusing a blending brush, working in small, circular motions. I try to leave the center of the oval-shape clear of makeup if possible, but if you accidentally blend some black into the center it’s no biggie.
One side blended, one side not.
I usedRocker Chic Velvet Touchbecause it lasts so long once it sets…
but watch out! You’ll need to blend shortly after applying or the gel will dry.
5. Dip a clean, soft-bristled eyeshadow brush(or a brush specifically for wet eyeshadow) in water and dab excess on a clean cloth - but do NOT apply drops of water directly into the eyeshadow cake or it will be ruined. Just dip your damp brush into the Blinkle Lyrical Lilac makeup cake. Sweep your rich, metallic color right along the edges of the black oval you made earlier. This shouldn’t need blending, since the wet eyeshadow automatically blends with your black base.
I’m loving the rich, foil look of this Lyrical Lilac. Leave the center lightly colored for now,
or you can fill the area in dark and skip step 6.
6. Repeat step five with Joyful Emeraldor your favorite complimentary tone, but this time you’re filling in a very small area just above the center of your eye for a bold highlight.
7. Taking a smaller, stiffer brush(slightly damp), again using Lyrical Lilac, but this time along your lower lash line. You can intensify the look with black eyeliner on your wet line. Follow through another coat of eyeliner to the upper lash line if needed.
8. Finish up by highlighting the browwith a thin stripe of white, either in matte, which keeps the shine focused on your color, or in a shimmer-white to compliment the look. Blend lightly with a clean blending brush if needed.
9. Apply mascara and peel off the tape.Clean up and reapply foundation if needed… and voila! Alluring, beguiling, show-stopping eyes for a bold, sexy look that brings out your sparkle under the stars.
Check the product gallery!Head to www.BlueScandal.com to get everything you see here... and be sure and let me know if you try these easier-than-you-think techniques!
Product Gallery...shop now!
Thanks for checking out my Friday Night Out,
smoky, jewel-toned eye tutorial!
Do you have any good tricks for getting a sultry, smoky eye?
I love trying new makeup looks and will definitely be excited to try out your tried-and-true methods.